Background

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sweet Potato Soup

Hey There.  =)  The other day I had absolutely no idea what I was going to make for dinner. While enjoying my afternoon cup of tea I thought I'd watch a little of the Food Network. LOVE!! I was watching Chef at Home with Michael Smith and he started rattling off ingredients to make sweet potato soup. It sounded delish! And it just so happened that I had every ingredient he listed. How often does that happen? Umm, never! So that's what I made (with a few of my own additions) and boy was it good. I also baked up some Pillsbury crescents to go with it. Of course, me always having to Dr. things up, I brushed the tops with some melted butter and honey while they were baking. Mmm, they were sweet, tasty and went perfectly with the soup.

Sorry for the poor photo quality. It was dark outside and impossible to get a decent pic. 
I took about 12 and this was the best. It was even brightened up in Picnik

Here's Michael's recipe
Sweet Potato Soup
yields 4 servings
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 large sweet potato, or 2 small, peeled and cut into small chunks
  • 2-3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Place a saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the oil. When it begins to get hot, add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté until softened and fully aromatized.
  2. Add the sweet potatoes and enough broth to completely cover all the vegetables. Season with cinnamon, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
  3. Cook until potatoes are very soft and then puree with a hand blender, food processor or countertop blender until smooth. You may also serve the soup ‘as is. Taste and add more seasoning if need be.
My additions to the soup were as follows:
2 tsp brown sugar 
1 heaping tbs Indian Masala seasoning (I used Club House brand.) 
Also, I only used 1 onion and only added about 1 tsp of cinnamon. 

This soup was ready in no time. Try it and let me know what you think. 

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian readers!! 
Sharing With:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks soo much for stopping by!! Please don't be shy, leave a comment or question. I love hearing from you! If you'd like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. : )
~ Catie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...