Background

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summertime Salads

Hello again! Hope you had a great day. Ours was very quiet and relaxing. I even had a little nap! I'm back now to share a couple salads I made up for dinner today. I bbq'd some chicken and these went perfectly. I love summertime cookin'!

First on the menu is a tomato and cucumber salad. Healthy, quick, easy and delicious.

Here's what you'll need: 
2 tomatoes
1/2 long english cucumber
1/4 of a red onion
dressing of your choice
(I chose roasted red pepper & parmesan. It has only 1 gram of fat per serving and is 
sooo tasty!! I use it all the time. Can't you tell by the nearly empty bottle?)


Here's the tough part of making this salad, the chopping.  : )  Chop everything into bite size pieces. 


Wasn't that hard? Phew, I'm exhausted! : )  Last, mix in about 1/4 cup of dressing, more or less to your taste. Cover and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour. The longer the better, the tomato and cucumber really soak up the flavor. And if you like, transfer to a cuter serving bowl. 


Doesn't that look like summer in a bowl? I love this salad! It's soo light and fresh tasting. 

On to our next salad, classic potato. Mmm!! Now bare with me. I never measure, except when I bake, but I'm pretty good at eyeballing amounts. 

Here's what you'll need: 
8 potatoes
4 eggs
1/4 of a red onion
3/4 - 1 cup mayo 
(I use the 1/2 the fat kind.)
about 1 tsp mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup relish
pepper


First we have to peel and chop the potatoes. Yes more chopping, and we're not done yet. Put potatoes into a large pot and fill with water. Now I'm gonna tell you a little cooking secret, shh. When you fill the pot with water, put in extra water, then add your eggs and cook them in the same pot!! Wow, I know! Once your potatoes are tender, 10 -12 minutes, your eggs are done too! This little tip works when making macaroni salad too. Tricky.  ; )

Aren't my arrows helpful? : ) 
 While those are boiling you get to chop some more. Finely dice the onion. Once your potatoes are done, drain them and set the eggs aside in a dish with cool water. Be careful handling them, they're hot! Put the potatoes into a large pot. Next add the mayo, mustard, relish, and onion. After that your eggs should be cool enough to handle. Chop them up, toss 'em in and gently mix it all together. Keep in mind that the potatoes are still hot and extra tender, so the can get mushy if you're stirring too hard. Transfer to serving bowl, cover and chill for at least two hours.


 I sprinkled on a little paprika for some added color. 


Oh yum! Doesn't that look good? I still have some in the fridge. Hmm.... 

So there you have it, two salads in one post! Aren't you lucky? I will warn you, the potato salad is REALLY good and may be addictive.  : )  


Sharing with:

4 comments:

  1. MmmMmm these look SO good! I might be making that tomato dish tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy and delicious. Your photographs are so beautiful. That is an art in itself, to photograph food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catie, these look wonderful!!!! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I made the potato salad the other day and we devoured it. Love potato salad!!!

      Delete

Thanks soo much for stopping by!! Please don't be shy, leave a comment or question. I love hearing from you! If you'd like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. : )
~ Catie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...